Monday, September 10, 2012

CC#1: Mobile Phone Towers Attacked in Northern Nigeria

My view on the author's purpose about the article on the mobile phone towers attacked in northern Nigeria is to inform about the attacks on the phone towers in Nigeria and to possibly find out who was responsible for the terrorism in Nigeria.

The author absolutely accomplishes his/her purpose.  "A radical Islamist sect that has attacked mosques, churches, schools and government buildings at will in Nigeria appears to have added a new target for its violence: mobile phone towers."  "The attacks on infrastructure is an attack on the public itself." I agree with the author's idea(s) on how the terrorism in northern Nigeria is an attack on infrastructure to the public itself.  "Nigeria would be targeted for cooperating with the government to flush out the Boko Haram members."  Not many people disagree with the ideas, but I am determined to find a disagreement in every text I read.

Why phone towers?!  I have no idea why terrorists have to attack phone towers!  Also, why whoever is responsible did not come forward about their actions?  If terrorism is committed, the persons should step forward to claim their actions.  I could connect this text to myself because I indirectly use the phone line to stay in touch with family down there.  During the September 11th attacks, terrorist used the World Trait Center as a target like MTN in Nigeria. Terrorism happens EVERYWHERE in the world, no matter if the direct target they hit makes sense to hit....   I can become a more active participant in my learning by taking interest in world news and researching current events affecting the world.  I can also take responsibility for my learning by listening to horrific events in History class, being more open-minded about events taking place in our world, etc.


No comments:

Post a Comment