Wednesday, January 30, 2013

BR#1: Slam! - Walter Dean Myers

"Basketball is my thing. I can hoop. Case closed."  Greg "Slam" Harris, the main character, started out in the book on how his prodigious skills on the court represents his life.  Walter Dean Myers's Slam! symbolizes the connection of Slam himself and me.

What can I say about this book? The novel's theme shows one how life is more than a basketball game; life is a game itself.  "Slam! will fly off the shelves into the hands of basketball fans, and will give them a lot more than a game."  The Voice of the Youth Advocates describes how this book will give one a broader perspective of life in the book, rather than a simple, fictional book on a ball player. With many athletes reading sports books, Walter Dean Myers aspires them at the same time by putting the content of life in the novel too.  "A Harlem teenager learns how to apply the will he has to win at hoops to other parts of his life in this vivid, fluent story..."  Kirkus Reviews summarizes how Slam's game can be distributed personally, not physically.  While never doubting himself on the court, he applies the will he has to win at hoops to other parts of his life to "portray the dream of a Harlem teenager."  "Myers has a neat trick of making the reader see the world through Slam's streetwise, life-naive eyes....The conclusion is hopeful, and the basketball scenes are tough."  Metaphorically, Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books compares Slam's hoodlum-like struggle in his life with the quote stated.  As described in the quote, the basketball scenes are tough; the quote also analyzes that life can be tough too, just like times in a basketball game.

"Slam's game is like his temper---hard and fast."  Walter Dean Myers makes me believe in him as a person because of the trials and tribulations Slam has to go through. Anybody can come to a common ground with this character because of all the reality-like sections he faces in the novel.  "With me it's not like playing a game, it's like the only time I'm being for real."  I like how Slam's dedication to what he loves makes him conscience of his character.   His seriousness of the game delineates himself throughout the book.  "That's the word and I know it the same way I know my tag, Slam. Yeah, that's it. Slam."  If he was not a bit cocky and confident, the novel would be depressing.  Feeling influenced by the book, the way Myers scripts his literature and draws out Slam assembles the book to be a phenomenon.

"It's hard to compare [great things] to [things in general.]"  Since the novel to me exemplifies sensation, I can closely relate this novel to Myers other classic, The Beast; "...with the connections and situations teenagers face today," the novel glistens to The Beast with real-life scenarios, creating the bond with Slam!.  Currently, this book relates to events and issues in life generally; even though the novel was copyrighted in 1996, seventeen years later, the essence of the novel still reflects among humans today.  Personally, this book develops a connection with me because I admire track; when I eventually "go one-on-one with my own future, I [arguably] will not have the crowd chanting my name, sprinting down the straightaway to the finish line..."

I recommend this novel to anyone and everyone due to the fact that with any position and problem one has, the book will permeate one's life just by reading the book.  Because of the life-changing magic the novel presented to me, I can conclude that Slam! is an astonishing piece of literature towards everyone who read the amazing novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment